1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: pstrauss@igc.org
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: all risks are not equal

Allison,

I've been in the environmental consulting business since the mid-1970's,
and I can say that without much doubt that different stakeholders will
percieve risk differently.  There are standard ways of calculating risk
levels (e.g., at a certain level, a person exposed to x contaminant will
have 1 in 10,000 chance of developing cancer.)  These methods are disputed
by many.  But even if we could all agree that the methods were sound,
stakeholders will be hard pressed to agree on an acceptable level of risk.

Peter Strauss

Got a Favorite Topic to Discuss?  Start a List at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/4