1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: peter strauss <pstrauss@igc.apc.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:34:07 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Request for Advise, Insight, Comment on Locating Wood Burning Power Plant in Urban Industrial Area

Emery,

Its been a long time since I worked on the issue of wood-burning, but if
memory serves me correctly, its not clear that emissions are less than
you would get from a oil fired plant, and I suspect they are more than
you would get from a gas-fired plant.  Since the project is using wood
that may have been treated in some way, there is also the potential
problem of toxic emissions.  This should all be spelled out in the
environmental documentation for the project. The project proponent
should also be thinking about what it will do with the ash from the
plant.  The ash may tend to concentrate toxic materials that are not
combusted. As far as I can tell, these are the major issues.

Peter Strauss