1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Paul Horn" <Paul_Horn@hud.gov>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:31:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Request for Advise, Insight, Comment on Locating Wood Burning Power Plant in Urban Industrial Area

Emery--the folks at the Institute for Local Self Reliance in D.C. may be
able to help you:  www.ilsr.org.  202-232-4108. I've taken the liberty of
forwarding your letter to their Director, Neil Seldman.

Emery Graham <"egraham"@ci.wilmington.de.us> on 08/12/99 12:50:03 PM

Please respond to cpeo-brownfields@igc.org

To:   cpeo-brownfields@igc.org
cc:    (bcc: Paul Horn/CB/BOS/HUD)
Subject:  Request for Advise, Insight, Comment on Locating Wood Burning
      Power Plant in Urban Industrial Area

Request for Advise, Insight, Comment on Locating Wood Burning Power Plant
in Urban Industrial Area

This listserv has been very useful. I'd like to get some feedback from
its members regarding a proposed project that meets the following
description. This is an open question and I'd like to get as
broadranging a set of comments as possible. I'd like to know if there is
technology available to mitigate any environmental negatives that might
be associated with this type of plant.

The project would be located in a small river based municipality, in a
brownfields, environmentally impacted, minority, and low/moderate income
area. From a market perspective the location is ideal in that the local
power company will buy the power, a compressed gas company will buy the
carbon dioxide, a greenhouse project will use cogenerated steam. I'd
like to know what the environmental impacts are likely to be. The
nearest residents are within a half mile of the proposed project site.

The project is a small (22 megawatt) energy and carbon dioxide plant
that uses clean wood salvaged from construction debris, used pallets, and
residential landscaping material as fuel. This material is currently
being disposed of in area landfills.

The project has number of advantages for the citizens of Wilmington:
i) it creates approximately 65 jobs
ii) it saves rapidly diminishing space in landfills through recycling
waste wood materials, and
iii) emissions from this environmentally friendly project is but a fraction
of those emitted by conventional coal or oil fired power plants.

Thanks In Advance,
Emery