1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Jim Schwab <jschwab@planning.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:59:27 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Hazardous Overlay Zones

I am trying to answer a question for one of our subscribers and am largely
working from analogies rather than immediately comparable situations. So I
would appreciate any feedback on the following question:

Does anyone have experience with the use of an overlay zone restricting
land uses in accordance with hazard considerations in the vicinity of an
old landfill? The situation involves methane buildup, leaching into local
groundwater supplies, and similar, typical landfill decay problems. The
objective is to prevent incompatible future development from occurring
until bioremediation has had a chance to resolve the situation, which may
take years.

Jim Schwab, AICP
Senior Research Associate
Editor, Zoning News