1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Emery Graham <"egraham"@ci.wilmington.de.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:46:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: gentrification revisited....?

Rebekah,
I think that the idea of human capital investment is a major part of the
long term solution to the problems of poverty, but in the short term, when
displacement occurs, it seems impossible to mobilize the resources to do as
you suggest. What resources do the residents of brownfield areas have to
invest. What social capital do they own(there is an answer to this one that
noone likes.)? Oh, do you happen to know any government officials, or
private sector investors, that would willingly act to do as you suggest re
the residents of the area surrounding their project site? Government is who
we look to. It's not doing very well.

There's no guarantee on their, or any groups, forward movement. Given the
rules of the game, Capitalism and Democracy, our choices, in the short term
are few. There is an inertia involved that, on the part of the residents and
those wishing to help them, must be engaged. I'd like to hear more on your
thoughts on this.

Emery