1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: TommeY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:33:20 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: "The Economic Benefits of Open Space"

Emery,
	Thanks for the referral.  I am familiar with a number of such
articles in this area, and don't really question your view of the dominant
paradigm (which I think is really the concept most people have of the
problem), although I think that most such generalized statements are equally
true (i.e. about 25-40% of the time).
	I guess I am just wondering what value (or difference) exists in
making these type of generalized analyses, in terms of how they affect the
work of brownfields redevelopment.  The options seem to me rather limited --
remedidal action or no remedial action; compensation for direct injury/damage
or none; reuse of former contaminated property or development of other
properties; etc.
	Unfortunatly for those of "lower socio-economic classes" who don't
own property in the redevelopment area the options seem to be:
	-- to live in a community which is of lower value as a residential
area because it is contaminated; or
	-- to live in a community which is of lower value as a residential
area for other reasons.
However, I don't think this is a problem of brownfields programs (or other
redevelopment) themselves, but a part of the greater set of problems relating
to the distribution of wealth in the country.  Hardly anything we can change
by adjusting our thinking on brownfields.
	Moreover, of course, the primary problem underlying the entire area
is the problem of designating parties "responsible" for contamination and the
results of contamination is the issue -- a problem which you quite cogently
describe as "brownfields [are] an artifact of productive activity where the
owners haven't internalized all of the costs of the productive activity."
Here, it should be noted that the owners haven't internalized all the
benefits of the productive activity, either.  Communities spring up around
industrial development because industrial activities benefit individuals,
too.  Especially those in lower economic groups.  Any attempt to take too
academic an approach to evaluation of the socio-economic rationale behind any
of these programs seems to me doomed to end up in a mire of fractionalized
thinking, with no real purpose.
	For me, the question is what alternatives exist?  I can't picture a
generally accepted legal solution to the brownfields problem that will not
result in provision of some benefits to the owners.  Sadly, in many cases,
these benefits will be greater than the direct benefits to members of
communities from lower socio-economic levels that are also directly affected
by the presence of brownfields.  Perhaps my thinking is flawed, but in my
mind, the alternatives are to remedy brownfields or not to do so.  And, from
this perspective at least, some benefit accrues to all.
	I guess that, for this discussion to continue to hold any further
interest for me, I need to know what alternatives are proposed -- not
alternatives to the our socio-economic model of what the brownfields
situation is (because I think most people's models are remarkably consistent
with the one you are using), but alternatives in terms of action.
	This line of discussion began as a question of what "justice" could
be found in the fact that open-space dedication is shown to positively impact
property values in surrounding lands, and has segued into a discussion of the
concept of environmental justice in brownfield remediation more generally.
However, to me, the question of "Justice" in regard to government action can
only be addressed on the basis of an evaluation of the available or possible
options.   So I need to know what options we are talking about here?  Is this
the standard discussion of the weaknesses of  "government redevelopment
programs"?   (If so, there is lots of literature I can recommend on the
application of socio-economic approachs to factual situations.)  Or, on the
other hand, do your concerns question the validity of the brownfields
programs in general (as being antithetical to the interests of disadvantaged
communities)?

(I will certainly be interested in your reply, although I may not be able to
answer it for several weeks...)

Tomme Young