1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Emery Graham <"egraham"@ci.wilmington.de.us>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: "The Economic Benefits of Open Space"

Bob,

I certainly understand your perspective. As a planning practitioner I'd like
to hear your perspective on the value of "collaboration" as a means to
arriving at contemporarily acceptable land use solutions. Specifically I'd
want to know your practical perspective on the balance of the various
collaborators ability to negotiate, evaluate, and reason regarding the
choices, means, and likely outcomes of their decisions.

I happen to come across an article by Sherry Arnstein on Citizen
Participation. Not being from the discipline of "planning," I wasn't
familiar with her work. I'm told that this article is a highly respected
piece of work. What she describes fits very well in the perspectives of
"citizen participation" and the literature of "system power" and "tacit
knowledge." It enlivens Pierre Bourdieu's literature on "social
reproduction;" "habitus and field."

I'd offer these perspectives to you, and those of your discipline,  as you
make your contributions to this debate.

Emery