1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: trevor burrowes <trevoroc@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:09:10 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: "The Economic Benefits of Open Space"

Emery Graham wrote:

> It becomes increasingly apparent that one of the attendant impacts of
> efforts to preserve open space is an increase in the value of land in other
> existing uses. As our efforts to spur economic development succeed, those
> who are existing land owners will find themselves the beneficiaries of
> windfall profits and rents driven by government supported programs.
>
> What happened to "environmental justice.?

It ought to remain alive and well. I had supposed that environmental justice
also had something to do with promoting a high quality of life for its
constituents. Why should only the wealthy enjoy open space? It is left to
the EJ community to figure out how to overcome the financial and land use
obstacles which inevitably relegate the poor to the most wretched and
unpleasant places.

trb