1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Bruce Klafter" <bklafter@orrick.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:40:26 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: Definition, VCPs, and Brownfields

Lenny, I think your use of the terminology is a little imprecise. "Hazardous
wastes" are hazardous substances (toxic, corrosive, flammable & listed
substances) which become "wastes" by virtue of their being discarded, i.e.
there is no intention to use or reuse the substances.  Once the material is
transformed into a "waste", it is subject to the treatment, storage and
disposal regime of RCRA (and the States' equivalents).  A "release" into the
environment includes any emitting, pouring, spilling, leaking, abandonment,
etc.  The release may be of hazardous substances or hazardous wastes.  A
release may be intentional or unintentional (e.g. due to an unforseeable
accident).  The cleanup obligations generally disregard intent; the
responsible party, be it an owner, operator, or generator must effect the
cleanup.  Intent figures into the penalties that might be assessed for the
release on top of the cleanup costs.

I would call the dry cleaner sites hazardous waste sites because the
material released into the environment is usually a waste, such as spent
solvent or sludge, and not new PERC which is to be used in the future.

To complicate matters further, I'm of the view that a "brownfield" doesn't
have to be abandoned, merely unused, underused or slated for a change in
use.  Other attributes, such as location, lead to it being classified as a
brownfields site.

P.S.  Depsite all these different views on terminolgy, I don't feel the
usefulness of the discussion group is compromised.  Everyone seems to be
gleaning useful information.