1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Bruce Klafter" <bklafter@orrick.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 13:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: Definition, VCPs, and Brownfields

I've found this discussion regarding definitions to be rather interesting,
but rather confusing as well.  For me, the overarching point is that
"brownfields" encompasses contaminated properties of all types where reuse
or a new use is proposed.  The property's classification is meaningful, of
course, in terms of what programs the site is eligible for (or doomed to,
depending upon your perspective).  I believe the "real world" perspective is
in accord with that view; developers, governments, community groups and
others are interested in properties generally (depending upon location,
condition, development potential, etc.), not in NPL sites, VCP sites,
petroleum sites and so on.

P.S.  Peter's analysis of the refinery site and the dry cleaner is not
entirely accurate, in my opinion.  The refinery wastes and the dry cleaner
contamination could easily be classified as hazardous waste.  "Hazardous
waste", under federal and California law, includes hazardous substances
(including petroleum hydrocarbons) which have been discarded (a broadly
defined term).  The refinery and dry cleaner clearly intended to discard the
materials (whether by design or otherwise), whether or not the practice was
legal (or at least unregulated) at the time. Without more facts, it's hard
to say which program would control the cleanup of such sites.  If
groundwater were involved, it would be the California Regional Water Quality
Control Board. Where groundwater is not involved, DTSC or a County Health
Department.