1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Kathy L. Dalton" <kd@well.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 10:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Definition

A quibble on the brownfields definition: Peter Strauss has suggested that
part of the EPA's definition includes "an active potential for
redevelopment or reuse."

On the contrary the EPA definition suggests that the contamination is
presenting a barrier to reuse:
EPA definition verbatim:

"Abandoned,idled, or under-used industrial and commercial facilities where
expansion or redevelopment is complicated by real or perceived
environmental contamination."

source: <http://www.epa.gov/swerosps/bf/glossary.htm#brow>

States may each provide their own definitions. In Massachusetts the
legislature purposefully did *not* define the term in its new Brownfields
law last summer. However, they did include oil-contaminated sites within
the purview of the law. The EPA, has quite pointedly excluded oil
contamination issues, at least in my experience working with the first
Boston Pilot any site where the primary issue was oil contamination was
excluded from consideration by the EPA staff.

****

On another note I see at least one participant in introductions has
followed the "romance" theme first introduced by Tony in his request for
intros.
Here's Bruce Klafter kindly offering matchmaking services: