1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Charles Bartsch <cbartsch@nemw.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:02:54 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Brownfields Statistics

I want to echo Barbara Coler's very solid response.  The 450,000 figure is
really just a "guesstimate".  I have collected some information from states
on the numbers of sites that have gone through their VCPs, but as Barbara
points out, these programs, their eligiblity criteria, and reporting
mechanisms vary.  This makes it difficult to come up with valid aggregates.
 Unquestionably, though, there has been significant brownfields reuse
activity across the country since 1993, and the state programs -- whatever
their parameters -- have played a central role in this.

Good luck on your thesis!  There have been some excelent examples of
brownfield cleanup and reuse in Rhose Island.