1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: peter strauss <pstrauss@igc.apc.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:45:40 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Date term Brownfields first used

As I understand it, the term "greenfield" was used to designate building
something totally anew, on a new site.  Its been in use since at least
1976 when I first saw it, but may have been common parlance in the
construction and planning professions for some time before that. The
term Brownfield is an antonym to greenfield, and I did not hear it used
until the 1990's.

Peter Strauss