1998 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Career/Pro <cpro@igc.apc.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 10:28:22 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Landfills

I must have discarded some old documents on the subject, but I believe
several years ago the state of California conducted a fairly
comprehensive survey of contamination at municipal solid waste disposal
landfills. I don't remember, however, if it covered long-abandoned
landfills.

In California, landfills - unless part of a larger regulated unit, such
as a military base - are now regulated by the Integrated Waste
Management Board, a branch of Cal-EPA, rather than the Water Boards or
the Department of Toxic Substances Control. The is the agency with the
expertise, and probably with the best information.

LS

Director, SFSU CAREER/PRO (and Pacific Studies Center)
c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@igc.apc.org